One of my favorite recipes to make during fall is chili. It’s really inexpensive, quick and easy to make. Plus it’s primarily made of canned foods which means I always have the ingredients on hand. Chili is a great recipe that can prevent food waste if you’re cooking for one or two people. Too often fresh products get thrown out because you can’t eat it fast enough. With chili, all you need is your canned goods!
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 T canola oil
- 1lb ground turkey or beef (optional)
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 12 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 small can of green chilis
- 2 cans ranch beans
- ¾ c pepper jack cheese (optional)
- Add 2 T canola oil and onion over medium heat to a large pot.
- Once onion has softened, add ground meat of choice, 1 T chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Once meat is fully cooked add in your stewed tomatoes and chilis. Mix well.
- Add in your sweet potatoes, and ranch style beans.
- Bring chili to boil.
- Once it begins to boil bring it to a simmer until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Add pepper jack cheese and 1 T chili powder.
- Salt and pepper to taste.