One of my goals has been to learn how to take frozen chicken and make it into something appetizing. I wish I had the time and money to purchase fresh meat every week but that just isn’t always an option. Frozen chicken can be a challenge because of the off texture that can result from preservation. Today I tried some new techniques to stop that rubbery consistency that is often produced.
Step 1: Put frozen chicken in refrigerator 24 hours before cook time.
Step 2: Brine the chicken for at least 8 hours. For my brine I added one chicken breast to water. Make sure that the water completely submerges the chicken.
- 2 T sugar
- 4 T garlic salt
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 T fresh herbs (I used rosemary and thyme)
I put the chicken in the brine for 8 hours and cooked as followed.
- 4 t butter
- 1 chicken breast (thawed or fresh)
- 2 T garlic salt
- 2 T pepper
- 2 T Garlic Powder
- Lemons from brine
- 2 springs of rosemary
- 2 springs of thyme
- 1/2 white onion, course chop
- In a medium sized pan melt 2 T of butter over medium heat.
- Add chicken breast to melted butter.
- Season chicken breast with 1/2 of the garlic salt and pepper.
- Turn chicken over and season with the rest of the garlic salt and pepper.
- Add lemons from brine and cover chicken.
- Periodically check if chicken needs to be turned.
- Once chicken has slightly browned on both sides add onion and continue cooking.
- In seperate sauce pan melt rest of butter. Add rosemary and thyme.
- Chicken will cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Pour butter and herb mixture over chicken before serving.
I am so excited for how this chicken turned out! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! What’s your favorite way to use frozen chicken?? Leave a comment and let me know!